Brasfield and Gorrie
Key Challenges & Project Details
- Project contracted with private owner, Brasfield & Gorrie
- Project consisted of construction of a new bridge connecting downtown Richmond to the new Riverside on the James complex
- Project consisted of a new two lane, 150 foot, two span bridge
- Project included installation of sidewalks, ornamental railings and lighting
- Installation of stairway from the bridge deck to access the C&O Canal under the bridge.
- Bridge consisted of two abutments and a steel center pier
- One of the abutments became part of the building into the parking deck
- Bridge was constructed over the C&O Canal and directly under 240k power lines making steel erection and the deck placement very difficult
- Included construction of a retaining wall for the approach work
- Original design called for the wall to be constructed on H-pile and drilled caisson footers, which would have been very difficult given that it is between two existing buildings with very limited work area.
- Corman and JMT redesigned the wall using H-piles and Chance anchors with lagging between the piles and then incorporated them into the retaining wall, saving the owner time and money.
- Completed on time and on budget
- No recordable or lost time injuries