Virginia Dept. of Transportation
Zion Crossroads, VA
Key Challenges & Project Details
- Conversion of a standard diamond interchange to a diverging diamond interchange
- This project set a precedent as the first Diverging Diamond Interchange in Virginia
- Improves the I-64 interchange on Route 15 at Zion Crossroads and reconstructs the 0.49 mile stretch of Route 15.
- Improves safety by reducing the number of spots where vehicles can collide and handles twice the capacity of left turns per hour.
- Redesigned to eliminate trap lanes and detrimental weaves and included a study of interchange movements.
- The project reduces maintenance costs with a reduction of pavement, runoff, raised medians, and right-of-way.
- Reduced maintenance of traffic phases with the final traffic switch over taking place over one weekend.
- 2015 DBIA National Award of Merit (Transportation)
- 2015 DBIA-MAR Design-Build Merit Award (Mid-Atlantic Region)
- 2014-2015 American Council of Engineering Companies of Metropolitan Washington (ACEC/MW) Engineering Excellence Awards –Honor Award
- 2014 VDOT Culpeper District Construction Project of the Year