Virginia Dept. of Transportation
Key Challenges & Project Details
- Fast-track reconstruction of 2.5 miles of I-95/I-495 and Telegraph Road, west of Route 1 to the Eisenhower Connector exit for traffic to enter and exit Virginia by crossing the new Woodrow Wilson Bridge.
- Constructed two express lanes, four local lanes in each direction and auxiliary lanes for the interchange.
- The new grade-separated interchange provides access to eastbound Huntington Avenue and North Kings Highway from the Beltway Outer Loop and southbound Telegraph Road, through elevated ramps over Telegraph Road to refine traffic flow and provide easier/safer pedestrian access.
- 11 new bridges and five flyover ramps totaling 380,000 SF of bridge deck, four signaled intersections, and 17 interchanges.
- Improvements to 24 lane miles with 321,000 SF of roadway paving, milling and resurfacing, pavement marking, 500,000 CY of excavation, 22 retaining and MSE walls, and four sound barrier walls.
- Aggressive schedule due to simultaneous Woodrow Wilson Bridge projects and connecting traffic patterns in a complex environment including water, rail systems and the Capital Beltway.
- Commanded major interim milestone coordination from a demanding schedule, is the largest design-bid-build in Virginia to date and was the final major undertaking of the Woodrow Wilson Bridge project.
Joint Venture Partner
CK Constructors, a Joint Venture with Kiewit Southern Co.