ClientMaryland Dept. of Transportation | State Highway Administration
LocationHarford County, MD
Key Challenges & Project Details
- MDOT-SHA’s first Construction Management At-Risk project
- Remediated the slope supporting MD 24 with reinforced soil lifts and live stake along Rock Bank
- Repaired roadway pavement
- Improved roadway drainage
- Instituted a vibration monitoring system to protect a nearby historic iron mill that was under restoration.
- While a natural imbricated stone wall is viewed by park users and homeowners, it is supported by a concealed caisson/sheet pile/wire wall system providing roadway support that resists the scour forces of the stream.
- Planted slopes with live stakes and trees for stabilization vs. hardscape elements which maintain the area’s natural rural landscape.
- Site challenges included a large watershed, complex geotechnical conditions, and stringent environmental concerns focused on the “creeper” freshwater mussel, an endangered species in the US.
Status: Completed on time and under budget.