ClientFederal Highway Administration, Eastern Federal Lands Highway Division
Key Challenges & Project Details
- Widens 4 miles of US Route 1 from four to six lanes to relieve heavy traffic near the Fort Belvoir military installation.
- Replaced the bridge over Accotink Creek.
- Constructed new bicycle lanes and safer crosswalks.
- Project is within a historic area with portions in a formal Historic District.
- Maintenance of traffic includes daily closures along US Route 1 and shifting traffic to the new southbound lanes as the northbound lanes were constructed.
- Utility relocations include Fairfax Water & Sewer, OH Dominion, Verizon, Cox, Comcast, and an underground Washington Gas 12” transmission main.
Status: Under Construction