Maryland State Highway Administration
Howard County, Maryland
Key Challenges & Project Details
- A historic open-spandrel concrete arch bridge that passes through Patapsco Valley State Park and spans above a stretch of the Patapsco River.
- This was the most extensive renovation since it was built in 1935 and is expected to extend its lifespan to 50 years.
- Part of MSHA’s bridge system preservation program.
- Bridge was demolished down to the existing arches and then rebuilt from the original arches.
- Construction of temporary shoring, shielding, local strengthening and temporary struts for bridge rehabilitation.
- Replaced floor system, including end posts at end floor beams, spandrel columns and struts.
- Maintenance of traffic handled 37,000 vehicles traveling through the project daily.
- Constructed two temporary bridges for east and westbound travelers through the work area.
- Four retaining walls.
- 2013 MdQI Award of Excellence Project of the Year – Over $5 Million
- 2013 MdQI Award of Excellence Project Over $5 Million
- 2013 Maryland Chapter American Concrete Institute (ACE) Excellence in Concrete Award –Heavy Construction